Many of you do not know what scamming is and the importance of it, how to prevent it, and, why it is bad. So on this page I will explain everything you need to know about scamming.
What is scamming? Scamming is when the scammer (person who scams) lies to a Jammer and cheats them out of their items, there are many ways, and many many Jammers quit because of it. Either because they scammed, or they have been scammed. (I remember in November I temporarily quit because my Pink worn blanket got scammed >.<)
Are there any known scammers? Who are they? There are. I will list a few:
- mrsbieber01 (Scammed my White party hat back in Summer) I don't know if I got the name right.
- remmacs (Scammed a non-member fireplace when it was quite rare)
- xxsolidrares2xx (Thank you Jellojuice)
- sam360x (Thank you Veronica Fulbright.... we share the same name XD Only mine is the Polish version)
- Preeyoo (Thanks truffee)
How do scammers scam? In many ways... here they are:
- The gift-trade scam: Let's imagine it as a scene. A wolf is dancing in Jamaa Township saying 'Send me a top hat and I will send you a tan carpet+a nm sword' First, it's a kind of over-trade... anyway... a pretty bunny newbie comes up and says 'You're probably lying. Why don't you use the trading system?' Several groups of animals chant 'SCAM' again, and again... The wolf replies ' My trade is broken' Your trade can get broken, but it's not very common . A fox wearing a tan top hat, a tan worn blanket, a tan leaf necklace, tan glove and tan tail armor comes up, believing him. The fox always wanted a pirate sword and a tan carpet, they were his dream items. The fox says' I will do it.' The other Jammers try to stop him, but it's too late. The Jammers say that the wolf doesn't even have those items, but after the wolf's trick was done, he says, greedily 'Bye!' And disappears. The fox gets that feeling again for his favourite head item, and when he asks for sympathy, others said 'Well, its ur fault u got scammed' and when he finds a kind rare jammer on the right bridge, playing a game with a new player, the fox sits beside that rare Jammer. After the game was finished, the fox explains his story. The kind Jammer sends the fox a tan top hat he didnt want, and never asked to give back, but they remained true friends. Now, this story ends happily, but your might not! Not all people send rare items such as top hats, and if they do, they might want it back 2 minutes after.
- The contest scam: This is fairly common. Another story time! An arctic wolf wearing a feathered mask, black necklace, purple mech angel wings and blue tail armor was dancing in Jamaa township. He was saying ' Whoever sends me the best rare wins Arctic Wolf code and my tail!' many smart Jammers said it was a scam, that it was against the Animal Jam rules, but the Arctic Wolf simply replied 'Get ur fat arsess out of here, noobs' Woah, vulgar... Anyway, a new panda with a newly won non member sword from sky high always wanted a membership. He was poor and his mom wouldn't afford it. His dad was dead. So he sent the Arctic wolf his sword and waited for the code, happily. But it never came, and that Arctic wolf has changed his username. The panda was sad, he liked his sword, until one day he won another one. Happy ending? Yeah, but your might not end as happily if you ever get scammed this way!
- The borrow item scam: There were two friends. They were as close as sisters. One played since beta begun, she was very rare, she was a purple and white lion with green feminine eyes, and black stars all over. She wore a pink mech angel helmet, a long red spike collar, freedom wings, a black legendary glove and light orange tail armor. She had a creative den with many betas. However, in real life, she was kind of slow... got slightly bad grades, and was never very popular. On the other hand, her friend, wasn't as rare. She was non member, and was a yellow and navy tiger with red dots. She had evil grey eyes, though she was nice. She wore a white fox hat, blue heart locket, green shark fin and a cream glove. She was smart and popular in real life, but not one of those extremely rare people on Animal Jam. One day, the Lion wanted a shark fin, and remembered her friend had one. She planned to borrow it, but then thought about scamming. A horrible thought struck her- 'Rares are more important than friends' she menacingly grinned and waited until her friend was online. She followed her, she was in her den. The Lion said 'Hey, can I please borrow your Shark Fin? Wanna try it on.' the Tiger said 'But... you might scam me...' The Lion replied 'No way, I've been your BFF for years, you know me more than I know myself!' Then she showed an Animated laugh emoticon. The Tiger hesitated then reluctantly agreed. She sent the green shark fin over. The Lion replied 'I'll give it back tomorrow, OK?' Then she logged out. The next day, the Lion deleted the tiger and changed her username. The Tiger and Lion never saw each other again, and the Tiger never got her shark fin back. Sad ending... right? Well... ya o.o
- The I decline everything scam: Remmacs used this one to scam his/her fireplace. So, story time! Another one of my made-up stories is one the go! A Giraffe with a white flame pattern who was colored black and red with matching evil eyes, who was wearing a green party hat, green heart locket, green worn blanket and green lava glove, was standing on the so called rare bridge in Jamaa Township. He was saying 'Chu like unicornz? Cuz I stole chu cupcake! :3' Then he was bored... so he decided to get some trades. 'And rares' he thought. He stood in the middle and shouted 'I decline all trades! Try me...if you dare' At first nothing happened, except a few people calling him a scammer, and few people trading him necklaces for worthless cool banners, which he declined. He decided to spice up. 'I decline everything! Try me if your cool!' Then, he got 4 legendary items he just needed... A pair of freedom wings, a freedom helmet, a black top hat and a tan carpet. The trader tried to cancel, but the same glitch happened to me the day my worn blanket went missing, the trade stayed. The giraffe ran away and laughed. However, he was found and banned, but no items were returned. Sad/Happy ending this time!
- The birthday scam: Quite common, not always a scam. Um... guess what.... story time. This is the story of an Animal Jam user, who joined on April 17 2011. They were, from the start, known as BaBy bLuE, though that was never her username. ( I gave her a gender) Anyway, baby joined Animal Jam because she wanted items, she loves items and stealing them, not obtaining them fairly. As soon as she found out about scamming, she learnt how to do it. She first scammed on April 22 2011. She used the decline all trades scam, to scam a cream glove. Now, the actual story starts here. Baby was proud of the stuff she scammed. She was now a member arctic wolf, tall and proud, with her gleaming blue name tag, a star accompanying it. All items she wore were cleverly scammed: Her black tiki mask, blue short spiked collar, green rare bows and arrows, blue non member glove and black/blue tail armor were all perched on her fur.It was January 11 2013. S he stood in Jamaa township, saying '' send me gifts it's my birthday today!!!' after 5 minutes of begging she got a rainbow cloud. '' noob' said baby, and ran away. The victim was someone known as fUCHSIa F ishhh. WARNING, THESE STORIES ARE MADE UP!!!
- NEW SCAM! Double account. I experienced this scam when I was on my storage. It's AN OBVIOUS SCAM. Ok, the story is true. I was in Appondale. There was a tiger with a black spiked collar and freedom wings saying 'I really need a bag of gifts!' There was also a wolf. It was saying 'Trade me betas and rares!' So... everyone went up to the tiger when it said '2 of my freedoms and spike for bag of gifts please! ' Some people said 'I have bag of gifts' But the tiger simply said 'I want prince's (the wolf's) bag of gifts.' Obvious? I already knew the two accounts were the same person. So, I played along and traded 2 mech angel wings, lollipop necklace and fruit bowl for the bag of gifts. They accepted. Then the tiger said 'OK'. And ran away. The scam? The tiger is the same person as the wolf. Their plan was, that , the tiger was trolling everyone that she would trade two freedom wings and black spiked collar for bag of gifts. She said she wanted the wolf's bag of gifts. So, the wolf declined all sorts of trades for bag of gifts. The tiger said 'Trade him the bat wings he might accept' OK, isn't that DUMB and OBVIOUS? Sadly, I didn't catch the usernames. Anyway, when the wolf got traded overtrades because everyone thought that if they got bag of gifts they will get the freedoms and spiked collar, I traded him my trade and he accepted. So, the wolf simply traded the items I traded to the tiger for ... well... cheap stuff. New scam, be aware of it.
- FLASH TRADE SCAM. This is the comment I got: Emily Nieman10 February 2013 21:21There is the flash trade scam. People flash trade nm wings or swords, and then offer the member version and give the person enough time to accept the trade Yes, it is story time! XD So... A raccoon really loved red. She was wearing a red worn blanket, red fox hat, red legendary glove, red spiked collar and... black and red tail armor. However, she really wanted scary bat wings. One day, someone flash traded her scary bat wings twice. The raccoon kept saying 'again!' until the person traded member wings for the raccoons worn blanket. Sadly, they accepted... so.... scam DX :|
New scams are created sometimes, and there are more than I listed. However, there are simple rules to prevent ANY scam, it doesn't matter if you know them or not.Are there more types of scams? How do I prevent scams without knowing they exist?
- Only give gifts if you are sure! If you don't want to send an item, don't! There's nothing wrong with that!
- You can always say no to a trade.
- Only use the trading system, and trade fair.
- These are your items, not theirs!
- Never, ever be a scammer yourself!
Make your own banner at MyBannerMaker.com!